Welcome

Five years after founding The Gratitude Campaign, I've received over 10,500 e-mails, and 1,500 comments on YouTube. It seems that there is a lot to talk about with regard to gratitude for those who serve; not the least of which is the ever present challenge of understanding how to keep the politics out of it. Hopefully this blog will give us an opportunity for some rational, reasonable, and respectful discussion. I hope you'll join us...



~Scott Truitt, FOUNDER



http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

On Remembering

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and they told me that they loved our campaign, but that they had a bad memory, and usually remembered The Sign about 20 minutes after having seen a member of our armed forces. I suggested to them that they might want to think about a ritual or a habit that they could adopt that would remind them.

For instance, every day I wear something that reminds me to be in a place of gratitude toward those who are serving to defend my freedom. Sometimes it’s a set of dog tags, or a bracelet, other days it’s a t-shirt or a sweatshirt with thegratitudecampaign logo on the front. I don’t wear these to show my gratitude or to express it to those who serve – I wear them to remind myself to be in a state of gratitude. The ritual of putting it on, and of catching a glimpse of myself in a mirror or a store window and seeing that logo periodically throughout the day creates a subtle, repeated reminder that I am Free, and I am grateful to those who have provided that to me.

The things that I wear are all things that we have sold in the past, or are currently selling on our web site to help support our campaign. But these kinds of rituals can be done without even buying anything. If a purchase from our web site isn’t workable for you right now, try simply printing out our logo from the header of our web site. Tape it to your bathroom mirror next to your sink, or carry it in your pocket or purse so that every day, at least once a day, you’ll see it and remember those who serve. And even if for just a couple of seconds each day, you’ll be in a state of gratitude, and imagine expressing that gratitude to someone who serves.

Then, on that day that you do see someone in uniform, or perhaps a Veteran wearing a memorial hat or pin, you’ll remember that logo you saw just that morning, or on your shirt right then. You’ll remember what they’ve done for you. And you’ll show your gratitude – either verbally, or with The Sign -- the Sign that you now know immediately, because you've seen it every single day. And then perhaps, as I’ve been told by many Service Personnel, in that moment they will remember why they serve, and be as proud of that as they have every right to be.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott, good post! Just like we talked about on the phone, having a "symbol" or "gesture" that people can give while they're passing by is very practical. It might be a little unrealistic to stop someone and start talking but a gesture as you pass by is perfectly doable.

    Keep up the good work!

    Jim Mueller

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so thankful to discover the symbol of thanks for those who serve since there are times when a military member is too far away to make it practicable to speak with words, but a smile and a message from the heart (as I consider the symbol to be) is easy to remember and really comes quite naturally.
    As a result of using it, an additional blessing I have found is an emboldened spirit to speak to a member when possible and the response has been gracious thankfulness in return...a reminder that we frequently gain more in giving than we give!
    Again, my thanks for your guidance and encouragement.
    Smiles...Marilyn Sue

    ReplyDelete

One of the things that we at The Gratitude Campaign are most grateful for is our Freedom of Speech. But with Freedom comes responsibility. We ask that you keep your comments constructive and respectful to others. Disagreement is fine -- in fact, we celebrate it. Let's just show that we can disagree peacefully and respectfully.

Out of respect to the families of those who have served and struggled, please do not use last names when referring to Service Members. Posts with last names may be removed.